Work on the first unit of the Whittier Art Gallery will commence tomorrow. Donor Fred L. Pease, architect
William Harrison, and contractor Raymond Hunnicutt will attend. The Art Association secured a site on Painter Avenue which is one of the most attractive streets and one of the main entrances of the city.
Ground breaking exercises were held at 727 South Painter Avenue, attended by Art Association members and representatives of leading civic organizations. Mrs. Mryon Haig, president of the Whittier Art Association, accepted the deed of the property on which would be built the new home of the Whittier Art Center. She turned at least one shovel of dirt to speed up the actual building work.
Note: The gallery’s original address of 727 So. Painter Ave. was changed to 8035 Painter Ave. in the 1960s.
Architect William Harrison exhibits his drawings and photographs. It was W.H. Harrison that donated the plans
for the Whittier Art Gallery in 1938.
Architect William Harrison, who donated the plans for the Whittier Art Gallery in 1938, is praised by the
𝘈𝘳𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘤𝘵 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘌𝘯𝘨𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘳 𝘔𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘻𝘪𝘯𝘦.