Mabel George Haig (1894 – 1977), and her husband Myron, moved to Whittier, California in 1914. Mabel pursued her art, becoming involved with the art colony in Laguna Beach. She became close friends with Anna Hills, who cofounded the Laguna Beach Art Association with Edgar Payne in 1918. Mabel exhibited at the Laguna Beach Art Gallery at least 28 times, beginning in 1921.
Mabel and Myron Haig spend the day “enjoying the beauties” of Laguna Beach. Click article twice to enlarge.
The Hotel Laguna, and separate pavilion building, were owned by Mr. Yoch.
The old hotel pavilion in Laguna Beach is being remodeled under the direction of Edgar Payne, “to meet the needs of an exhibition”. It will be known as the Laguna Art Gallery”
The Laguna Beach Art Gallery opened in 1918. The gallery was managed by the Laguna Beach Art Association that formed soon after the gallery’s opening. Edgar Payne was the Association’s first president, and Anna A. Hills, the
first vice president.
“In Laguna Beach…the old pavilion was converted to a gallery managed by the artists themselves…a permanent association has been formed.”
In 1920, about 300 people lived in Laguna Beach. People could “motor” to Laguna Beach by driving through Laguna Canyon. Pacific Coast Highway from Newport Beach to Laguna was not completed until 1926.
Laguna Beach Art Association members exhibit at the Whittier Woman’s club house. Artists include Anna Hills, Hanson Puthuff, Edgar Payne, Karl Yens, Guy Rose, Sam Hyde Harris, and others.
Mabel Haig exhibits her water color painting “Morning Mist” in a competitive exhibit at the Southwest Museum, in Los Angeles.
The Southwest Museum, located in Los Angeles, was constructed 1912-1914.