After loosing their gallery space in the St. Johns Building, the Art Association opened their new gallery in a room at the old Broadway School. This space was used for only six months before the school was torn down due to damage received in the 1933 Long Beach […]
Forrest Randall “brings a cosmopolitan opportunity to Whittier for his water colors have been exhibited in the Feragil galleries in New York, and his wall paper designs in the Waldorf Astoria in that city.”
Work on First Unit for Whittier Art Gallery to be Commenced Tomorrow ( December 6, 1938). Note: The original address of the Whittier Art Gallery was 727 South Painter Avenue. Today, the Gallery’s address is 8035 South Painter Ave.
Ground-Breaking exercise on site held.
Whittier Lodge, No. 315, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, presents gift to Art Association of a land patent certificate signed by U.S. President, Andrew Jackson.
Only the exterior of the gallery was completed until more funds were raised to complete the inside. “Friends of the Association” solicited funds. Whittier citizens who supported the cause are listed.
The Whittier Art Gallery was given warm support from the Whittier Woman’s Club, Jr. Woman’s Club, East Whittier Woman’s Club, the Business and Professional Woman’s Club, the Parent-Teachers Association (PTA), and organizations in every school district, covering the entire community. The town’s businessmen also contributed.
Mabel George Haig was invited to exhibit at the World’s Fair on Treasure Island.
Whittier artist Forrest Randall designs fabric for one of Scarlett O’Hara’s costumes worn in the motion picture “Gone With the Wind”.