An oil painting, nearly 400 years old, is discovered in an East Whittier home. The painting by Venetian master, Paris Bordone, had once hung in The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, and had not been seen by the public for over 35 years. The painting was shown at the Whittier Art Gallery and the public was invited to hear a special lecture.
Note: Through great effort by Mabel Haig and the Whittier Art Association, the 50 X 54 in. canvas was restored and exhibited at the Whittier Art Gallery. The opportunity came at a time when the Association felt it appropriate to display the work of a true master painter with work of some “modernist” painters, whose work was described in a critique given in the Whittier News article, August 11, 1939. The article was likely written by Mabel Haig.
Click on article to enlarge.
Categories: 1939 - 1945, Built to be a Gallery, Articles, Whittier News Articles